Friday, January 25, 2013

Pasta With Lentils & Kale


For this eat-in month challenge, I've been challenging myself not only to not go to restaurants but also to try to eat more vegetarian-- to increase the number of days each week that I don't eat chicken or meat. So far it's been working pretty well, not only because I've been trying so many awesome recipes from Ottolenghi's Plenty but also because I've got another library cookbook I love, the Moosewood Restaurant's Cooking for Health. I put it on my Amazon wishlist, only because I can't bring myself to buy another Moosewood cookbook right now (I must own at least five). But it is terrific - I have made ten or fifteen things, and they've all turned out well. One of my favorite discoveries was a recipe for Easy Baked Tofu, which my daughter loves, despite deciding she didn't like "toe food" recently. Anything soaked in soy sauce seems to win her over.

That one is also worth writing down - 1 16 ounce block of firm or extra firm tofu, 2 Tblsp dark sesame oil, 2 Tblsp soy sauce, 2 Tblsp. ketchup. Mix sauce ingredients, cut tofu into bite-sized cubes, drizzle sauce over tofu, bake in oven for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees, stirring midway through... Would be great with a stir fry.

But here's my favorite one: Pasta with lentils and kale. One of my friends sent me another recipe recently that is also good, from Epicurious, but I like this one even more, just because it has a little more going on, as well as more vegetables. Also I like it that it has 25 grams of protein in one serving. It is very substantial and has a lot of flavor!

Pasta with Lentils and Kale

1 cup lentils (green or brown)
3 cups water
8 ounces chunky pasta (spirals, shells, etc)
3 Tblsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (I used a food processor)
3 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup finely chopped carrots (again, food processor)
1/2 tsp. paprika
dash of cayenne pepper (or more)
4 cups chopped kale (can also shred in food processor)
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 cups diced tomatoes

Parmesan cheese

Bring lentils and water to a boil, simmer covered for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Boil salted water and cook pasta according to package directions, saving a cup of the pasta cooking water when you're done.

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium, saute onions 3-4 minutes, then carrots, garlic & salt, 5 min, then add paprika, red pepper, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Add kale and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta cooking water, cook until kale is tender, add more water if you need it.

In a big serving bowl, mix together lentils, pasta, and vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste, add grated parmesan to the top.

No comments: