Sunday, March 18, 2012

Oreo truffles

Recently a friend gave me a truffle - hard chocolate shell on the outside, and what almost tasted like a half-cooked brownie on the inside. It was insanely good. So good, in fact, that I was shocked to hear that Oreos were the main ingredient.

I'm not a huge fan about Oreo cookies - they're good, but they don't evoke feelings of childhood nostalgia or anything. But I didn't let that stand in my way of making these. This dessert looks and tastes complicated but is pretty easy to make, so you can impress your friends if you take them to a party.

What you'll need:

1 package Oreos, minus 6-8 cookies
1 package cream cheese, softened to room temp (I used low-fat with good results)

1-2 bars of good semi-sweet chocolate (I had one Ghiradelli bar and for the rest used about a cup of Ghiradelli chips)
1 tablespoon butter or butter substitute
milk if necessary
1 white chocolate bar, optional

Throw the Oreos into a food processor and process them until they turn to crumbs. Throw in the bar of cream cheese and mix thoroughly. Then, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, roll the mixture into balls. Stick in the freezer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt chocolate over a double boiler, then add butter. If it starts to harden up, mix in some milk. (I didn't use the double boiler and this happened).

After 20 minutes have passed, one by one, dip Oreo balls into chocolate and place back on parchment. Stick in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so. If you like, you can melt the white chocolate for drizzling on top, then refrigerate for another 30 minutes. Eat. Enjoy. Impress friends.

(I think these taste better chilled - then they maintain the integrity between the chocolate coating and the filling within)...

No comments: